Parents and Guardians,
I wanted to take a moment to give you some details regarding our decision to move everyone to remote learning. First, let me say it we made the decision to make sure we are super conservative on an approach to the uptick in the number of COVID cases we are seeing both in the community and with those who are involved in our school district. We felt as though it was the best and safest decision to keep everyone as safe as possible and to make sure our school was not a spreading point. Honestly, we have not had much of an issue at the high school level. We have had one confirmed case which was pretty isolated and we have a few students who have had to be quarantined because they have been in close contact with someone who is a confirmed case. Overall, I felt like we were sitting pretty good but I could definitely see a shift coming and we wanted to get ahead of it rather than react to it. I love our students and staff too much to want to put them in harm's way.
Even as recently as Monday, I met with all students and let them know this could be a possibility and encouraged them to be proactive on taking care of themselves but to also get familiar again with Google Classroom and how the teachers are posting videos and assignments just in case we had to make this type of decision. Here are some details which you and your students need to be aware of:
- Remote Learning will happen for the rest of this week and through next week. Wednesday is still a day where kids will not be expected to be online. Our staff will be using it to catch up on grading, attendance, and filming of videos.
- The first day back for the students is expected to be Monday, November 30th which is after Thanksgiving holiday break.
- Teachers are expected to post a daily video and assignment. These should be posted no later than 4:00 p.m.
- Students are expected to log in and watch the video lesson whenever they can and do the assignment before 11:59 p.m. on the day it is assigned.
- Failure to do the assignment on each day by 11:59 p.m. will result in an absence going on their attendance record and will reflect on the hours owed for credit.
- Students and families which do not have internet access or regular internet access will not be punished but I do need some sort of communication letting me know the situation so I can be aware of who needs some flexibility when it comes to submitting assignments.
- Extra-Curriculars are still a go. Football will still be playing, basketball teams will still be going, UIL Academics are still a go, and FFA will still be carrying on albeit each of these might have a few adjustments depending on their situations. If positive cases were to pop up within these programs, we will reevaluate them continuing.
- Our band program has been placed in quarantine due to potentially being in contact with a confirmed positive case. If your student was present for band for 1st period on Monday, November 9th they are being quarantined from extracurricular activities. They will not be traveling to the football game on Friday night and they are not to be in attendance at any school function for the next 14 days. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Mr. VanOmmeren or me.
- Football tickets will continue to be sold in the front office of the school and at central admin from 8:00 a.m. till 4:00 p.m. each day.
- NHS Induction has been postponed and we will let you know of a new date ASAP.
- Basketball practice will be according to the following schedule:
- Girls: 9:00 a.m. till 11:00 a.m.
- Boys Varsity/JV1: 11:00 a.m. till 1:00 p.m.
- Boys JV2: 1:00 p.m. till 2:30 p.m.
I know I probably haven’t answered every single question and you are welcome to email me. I will be at the school each day from 7:00 a.m. till around 4:30 p.m. and will be answering emails and calling people who would like to talk. If your student forgot something at school, please bring them or have them come by the front office and we will make sure they get whatever they need to be successful during this remote learning process.
Please know I love each of your students like my own and I want nothing but the very best and safest environment for each of them.